fixed1t Mac Support 728x90

Amazon Best Deals

Search This Blog

Monday 15 February 2016

Mac Photos Library Backup To Blu Ray - Part 3 Loading Blu-ray disc

Having selected the:
Samsung SE-506CB/RSBDE Apple Mac Compatible Blu-ray Writer



I plugged its micro USB cable into my Apple MacBook Pro and of course nothing happened.

Assuming that my Apple MacBook Pro was capable of reading Blu-ray discs using the Apple Video Player, I decided to test the Blu-ray films compatibility with my Mac by loading a Blu-ray DVD.

I did a quick hunt around my DVD collection and found INCEPTION Blu-ray disc and put it in the Mac.
Picture of INCEPTION film on Blu-ray DVD

I am disappointed to say the disc did not spin up and start playing.  I disconnected the Blu-ray drive and restarted but absolutely nothing happened.

After searching the web and the Apple Support site I discovered that the older Apple Macs do not have support for Blu-ray drives built into them.

So Macs can't natively play Blu-ray DVDs, but rather than get side tracked into solving this problem, I decided to stay focused on backing up my Photos and Videos to writable Blu-ray discs.

The best disc burning software for the Mac has always been Toast. A quick get info showed I had Toast Titanium 11.2 installed on my Macbook Pro.

Picture Showing The Results Of Get Info On The Toast Application

As it was version 11, I assumed that it should be cable of seeing Blu-ray drives, so I opened it up and was disappointed to see that Blu-ray was not a recognised option.

So the next task is to look at updating my version of toast to one which is compatible with the Blu-ray standard. I'll cover that in my next blog entry.

#fixed1tMACsupport




No comments:

Post a Comment

Its only worth while me spending time on blogs If I know they are being read and it is not easy to know. So If you have taken time to read a blog entry then please leave a comment or question. Thanks Malcolm